Sunday, October 9, 2011

Tradition - there is something in it!

I went to a new church today. No, not a new church. It is 175 years old. New for me; Did i tel you why i went there today? I was late for my usual church and so had to go to a place where the service starts late(Lazy morning!!!). Boy, that church was a sight! 175 years is a loooong time, i think. The broken floor, the huge pillars, the dome shaped architecture, and yes, the giant pipe organ was there as well. Some thing very enticing about it! seductive would be a better word.

The best part about the church was the service; The traditional Anglican service, where you sing every thing. I have to admit, I would prefer a simple service. Then, what is the fun of doing the ordinary things, in such a traditional place? I loved every bit of what went on. It was fun! It was sacred! It was probably holy!

Traditions, they have a place in my life. I love them; There is some thing in it. Some thing in the brahminical weddings you attend, where you don't understand anything, still, the serenity, the sacredness of it all; Some thing in those traditional cover drives, in those traditional festivals, in those mozart's classics, in those wooden houses;

True, the life i live does not have time for most of the traditions. But, funny, they hang on; they are just there. Those traditions. I love them; There is some thing in it! Some thing very enticing! very seductive!

No comments: