Saturday, October 22, 2011

Sivakasi

You don't miss home, as much as on holidays. Especially Diwali, and if you belong to Sivakasi there is nothing like it. Though I was not born in Sivakasi, most of my childhood and early adulthood have been spent there. Life in the small towns has its advantages, and Sivakasi had tons of them. It was, still very much is, a rich town. As the world knows, fireworks, crackers and matches are a flourishing industry in that little town.

Nothing was very aesthetic about Sivakasi, and i don't want to use words like fabulous, amazing etc to explain my town. But, I can surely say, Sivakasi is one of the hardest working towns in the country. I can say this with a fair degree of conviction having traveled widely across the country. There was a saying," people who comes to Sivakasi will survive " and that saying holds good even today.

When i look back at the times i spent there, happiness is one word that comes to my mind. We were a happy lot; Yes, we did not have the shopping malls, the air conditioned theaters, KFCs. But, who wants them all; The open grounds, the roof top hotels and more importantly the ever open houses of friends made life all the more memorable.

Life has changed much, but nothing has been as memorable as standing there under the tree shades and talking for hours, or playing cricket on the dusty YRTV grounds or eating those parrotas with friends. Well, truly it can never be the same again.

I miss my home; I miss my Sivakasi.

No comments: