Saturday, December 8, 2018

Lessons on TIME!

"I will be a minute late, sorry," read the text! The phone beeped again after two minutes. "No, I will be on time".

Why is she so obsessed with time. What will happen in a minute? These guys do a little too much! I was murmuring to myself. "I'm Swiss, I'm very particular about time". I am sorry! said she, as she walked in. Bang ON time!

Everything starts ON time. Everything ends ON time. Buses and trains are ON time.   If it is delayed by a minute or two, apologies are given. Permissions are asked if the meeting goes on for five more minutes. Every single meeting has an appointment. A set 'TIME' is given for that. It may be just friends meeting each other or an official meet. Some official meetings are cancelled if things become late.

It is a real eye-opener that 'TIME' and its value is taken seriously in this country and many other countries in this parts of the world.

So as Indians why don't we care much about the time? Is it that, we don't value people and their time as much as the people here do? Or is it one of those cultural things which have been deeply ingrained into our genes? Or we just don't care?

I'm changing my approach towards time. I am learning to be 'ON' time for every programme. I understand that 'TIME' is one of those gifts given to the individuals and I dare not indulge in anybody's usage of their gift. I have decided to not take people for granted and promise myself that the only 'TIME' I can waste is mine own.

Ah! The lessons you learn when you are outside that small comfortable cocoon called home!

1 comment:

Lisa Dan Joseph said...

Very thoughtful!