Wednesday, December 26, 2018

Convictions that conquered the world!

So I visited Cambridge last week. The prestigious University of Cambridge was built in the year 1209. That place was magic; I had goosebumps when I visited the place where Ragland first committed his life to India. Watson and Crick drank in that neighbouring bar immediately after they discovered DNA. Rutherford discovered the electron in the next street. Isaac Newton was there a few hundred years ago. And inimitable Stephen Hawking lived there too.

For such a small village to have given so much to the world Cambridge was incredible. It had given 118 Nobel prize winners to the world told my tour guide. 118! Let that sink in! Just to walk in the same street as them, I felt privileged!

It suddenly struck me that people for all their importance in such a reputed institution were secondary. It was the ideas that mattered! The ideas which came through places like the Cambridge actually changed the world. No not the people! Of course, there had to be a Newton to discover the Gravity. But the Idea of Gravity was much bigger than Sir Isaac Newton himself.

Convictions are things certain! The certainty of the ideas which germinated in the minds of the people.

So here am I, promising myself to write about different convictions that conquered the world. One conviction at a time. Once a week in 2019. Look for this page people!

And some photos of Cambridge
















No comments: