Tuesday, December 4, 2018

Gambhir, I bow down!

I don't like you Gauti! I seriously don't like you. You did not have the touch which I loved in Laxman or the lefthanded elegance of Sourav. You never had the talent of Shewag or the Charisma of Sachin. Some said you had the grit of Dravid; I don't think so Gauti. Dravid had a something which made him lovable. You did not have that!

I did not like the mood swings. The tantrums you threw around were irritating. Maybe it was the small town boy in me being jealous of a Delhi bred young man.

I was in class X, still dreaming of one day playing for India when I saw you open the batting with a chubby Vinayak Mane. Both my eyes were on Mane. He looked immensely talented. His straight drives reminded me of Sachin; When every time you took the strike, I wished to see more of Mane. Your style just did not warrant another look.

I now know why I hated you; Coz, Deep inside I actually wished I was you. I never had the fight you had! I wished the dog in you which never quit, could be mine, for you never left the fight in the middle like I often did. The timing was never there, yet you never stopped trying one more time. Sometimes you were hurried for pace, and then the next ball I have seen you dancing down to that same pacy fast bowler. I wish I can do that as well Gauti. To look at adversity in the eye and say, "Here, I come again";

When Sehwag was blazing through the inning, and you were playing and missing, we often did not want to see you. We wanted to see more off Sehwag. Yet, you were often standing in our way, shirt drenched in sweat, and the eyes blazing. That was the image you have left us with Gauti. The image of the man full of dirt and sweat, yet standing.

I was so sure you never had the talent to play at the international level Gauti. How stupid of me! You have proved sport and to a certain extent life, has nothing to do with talent and with sheer grit and determination one can shine so well in life and in sport.

I take so much from you Guati! So much! For I learn from you, a man who has top scored in two international world cup finals, that if I'm ready to fight, the world can be your doorstep.

Hearty wishes on your second stint! God bless!





No comments: