Saturday, October 7, 2017

Journalism, thy name is a curse!

There was a time when I wanted to be a Journalist. I think that craving is still there in some remote corner of the heart. Yet, today I felt happy that I din't become one.

Some time ago when the news of the sad death(Should it be murder?) of the 60 odd children in the UP government hospital due to lack of oxygen was coming out I started looking at some NEWS source. The two lapdogs of the government, 'Times Now', and 'The Republic' were debating the very important, "Should Vande Maataram be made compulsory in schools" debate.

As the NEWS started to spread on social media, these two channels continued to debate Vande Maataram and its importance. And the anchor from 'TimesNow', told one of her panelist not to distract the country by the Gorakhpur deaths when the focus is on singing vande maataram to improve nationalism.

Distract the country by Gorakpur deaths? It took me a full two minutes to even comprehend what she said! What brazen arrogance? When did singing 'Vande Maataram' become more important than the life of human beings? And children in that? 60 of them.

Is there only money involved in buying these journalists off? Are there any thing else? Do they issue threats also? Is there anything called honest Journalism left anymore? I live in a ethically and morally deteriorating medical community, but I have seen beacons of light here and there. Many can and are surviving, in fact doing really well, if they are honest. But can there be honest people at all in the Journalistic world? I very much doubt it.

Most of the print and the television media is funded by advertisements! And advertisements are done only by the big Multi National conglomerates. And these huge conglomerates fund the political parties also. 

And in the modern day, govt advertisements have also increased many fold! On top of that, the government has the veto power to issue diktats. With all this, it needs a lot of inner power and mental strength to listen to the inner heart and speak the truth. And I seriously doubt I would have had the guts to stand up for the truth!

I wish I'm wrong! But I think we have entered a seriously dangerous territory where every media is  gagged and truth is buried and half truths are circulated.

My uncle said this years ago! Journalists are the most dishonest people on earth and I don't want you to be like that. How prophetic those words are!

No comments: