Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Deserving friendship!

'I don't deserve to be your friend', I heard the voice choke on the other end of that phone. Bang, the phone got cut.

'K' was one of my best friends during a phase of my life. We hugged each other and promised to stay in touch forever, even as life took us along different paths. Yet slowly the long calls became occasional calls and soon the vagaries of life made us forget each other. New friendships were made and different people came into our lives.

I had tried to contact him for some time and could not get to him. Once he said, he will call back. Once he was too drunk to talk. And then that day happened! I knew he was in trouble. His voice was shivering. I was in a prayer meeting and could not talk to him at that moment. The idiot I'm, didn't just walk out of the meeting and answer him. I told him I will get back to him. And there ended it all.

Today, got those same words 'I don't deserve to be your friend' text, from 'S'. I mean, we were just joking. But that got me thinking about 'K' and of course 'deserving friends';

How do I 'deserve' to be a friend?

I mean, can somebody deserve the love of a friend? And if love is given because he deserves, is the love true? Friendship is just love. Pure and pristine. I don't expect anything in return to be a friend. I go the extra mile, just because I love my friend. Can I ever do anything impressive to deserve the love of a friend? Can any work be a substitute for love?

Have I confused you enough? Ah! I'm confused as well. And by the way in all this confusion, I miss that friend 'K'. What if 'K' reads this and calls me tomorrow morning? Wish God likes fairy tales. 

No comments: