Thursday, February 2, 2017

RIP Nirmal Sekar! You made me believe in the pen.

"The higher you soar, the smaller you appear to those who cannot fly" wrote Nirmal Sekar in the late nineties on Pete Sampras, the greatest tennis player before the millenium.

I read that quote again. And again, and again. What a profound thought. I fell in love with that article and then that man. Greg "Nobody" Rusedski had said about Sampras, that he is done and should retire. Pete "Greatman" Sampras, replied in the only way he can by winning the US open one last time before bidding good bye. Nirmal Sekar was sublime on the day after Sampras had retired. Those philosophical words had come then.

Reading him was pure joy! Every time he wrote an article, I read it once, then twice and thrice. The words he used, they spoke to me. It was pure magic. I close my eyes and imagine his thoughts. And they were profound. Always. They spoke to you in deeply philosophical language. They showed me the power of the word. The power of the pen.

He made me do this crazy thing! To sit and play around with words at half past ten, when the world around me had slept off, after a crazily busy and tiring day. Most of my sports philosophy are copied from him.

RIP Nirmal Sekar sir! You taught me, that words have beauty. I wish you had lived on for many more years. Your writings though will. For a very long time. At least in my heart.

No comments: