Thursday, March 19, 2015

Reflecting on a life that deserved more!

I saw her on TV laughing away her sorrows.Graceful her face was and quite rightly she was called Grace!

I somehow found her number out and called her and the voice on the other side was cheerful and friendly. "Sam, buy me some 'oorugaai' from Delhi" she said. Only when I asked her to come to our youth group to give a speech, she said she is on chemo. She came after her chemo, and made us all cry listening to her, though she smiled through that hour.

She had been cheated at every step of life. By everybody. Dare I say even God was not kind to her. The parents left her, the dad pretty early and the mom later. The family was broke from day one. The orphanage could only give her schooling and refused a college education. And finally when things were falling in place, life played the cruel game of cancer on her. Oh, I forgot the hospital which cheated her in the end.There was even a man who called her to lie down with her to pay her medical bills. Life!

Of course, There were the good souls which helped her pay the medical bills. The blind man who travelled a lot to give her blood. The friends who paid her household bills. But they were few and far between.

Yet, through it all she smiled. Helped everybody around. Everybody!. Called me so many times to check on my mom. Drove a bike two days after her chemo to help another friend of mine in the hospital. And shared the little pittance the good people gave her with another orphan who stayed with her.

Reflecting on that life the world was not worthy of, makes me thankful for mine; for she always was thankful for every crumb of bread life threw at her.

2 comments:

Sam Mohan said...

Truely an inspiration akka.. She lived a meaningful life.. yes, simply powerful!

Unknown said...

This makes me feel one thing the tree with best fruit gets maximum hit