Tuesday, September 9, 2014

That word 'modern'!

Have been mulling over this word in my mind for some time now. It all started as usual when the 'bride searching' started; It should have. That is one predominant thing which had been happening in my life for quite some time.

So every time, some proposal would come, the question the extended family would discuss is "Is she very modern?" So they will look at the photographs and the biodata which had the parental background, and the girls educational qualifications and will debate on whether that girl is 'Modern', or worse still 'modern enough' for the family

So, wearing Jeans, speaking in fluent english, putting on sneakers and coolers came under the 'modern' category and wearing kurta's and chuddidhar's and talking in tamil became the traditional category

I was literally confused! Should she be modern? Or traditional? A friend suggested marrying modern girls looks good, while one suggested marrying them is not easy!

Am I getting sleazy? Should we be at all talking about all these on blogs? I don't know! For all I know, modernity has to be in the mind. Thinking beyond caste and dowry; beyond discriminating women; beyond untouchability and other stupid cultural and traditional evils and thinking about the betterment or welfare of the society is modern for me.

Right, I understand I'm getting preachy here. Cannot help it; When I see people think wearing clothes, shoes and glasses can make you modern, without having simple social awareness, the society has just lost it!

You see, I am considered modern because I have a french beard! And that explains our society:)

No comments: