Saturday, November 19, 2011

Corruption in cricket?

I, like most of you would have, cried when India lost that world cup semi finals against Sri Lanka. It was painful. The image of a weeping Kambli walking out of the ground will remain in my mind forever. That loss hurt. I was taken down memory lane, when our media showed the recent controversies surrounding that match.

My mind slowly rewound every bit of my cricketing memory of that day. Sachin was the only hobby the country had then. Sachin, a hobby? yup! We watched till Sachin batted and went out to play. So my vivid cricketing memory could rewind only till Sachin got out; and yes! after that the entire team collapsed. Nothing unsual about that. They always happen. In our circles we call them the famed Indian walk back!

Nothing unusal? At least i thought so! until, the recent controversy broke open. Some say, that match was fixed. (guess what? even marriages get fixed ). Some say, it was not. Some say, we deserve to lose even otherwise. Some say, We would have won else.

What the heck? Why this hullabulla suddenly? Why do we always expect cricketers to be saints? When the corporate honchos do anything to get money, we accept; Does n't the "Not for profit" BCCI use unfair means? And the famed Indian media? should i speak about them? or our blessed politicans, or our government servants? or you or me? We all use unscruplous means in our work to earn money. Cricket is their job, and they do that.

Let's face it! Cricket and cricketer's are not clean and cannot be clean unless the Indian society; You and me, come out clean. Till then, I have decided to enjoy Sachin's straight drive and celebrate Indian victories.

Don't we celebrate our society's other victories?

No comments: