Saturday, April 11, 2020

What if your people have different ideologies?

This friend pinged me crying bored! I'm bored sam; can't even watch TV. "My entire family is watching Zee TV and ABP news through the day and I can't bear them and their ideologies", said she.

"What do you do sam, if your entire family has a completely different ideology from you? What do you do? They blame my one year stint in the western world for my liberal views. Oh, you have been brainwashed by them; Ain't good for you, and on and on and on"! You get the drift right? That your people, the family you live with, the friends you go out with, the neighbours with whom you share food with, or even the modern-day relationships on Facebook and Twitter have all different viewpoints; rather they sometimes abhor you and your thinking for they were poles apart.

Have you guys felt the same? I have often felt it. Have often fought and rebelled!

What do you do? Do you fight? or just keep going, acting unawares? Or just let it be, they are just ideologies; Why does it matter so much? After all, they are your people; ideologies cannot be coming in between relationships, can they?

Of course in an ideal world, ideologies or viewpoints cannot and should not be relationship breakers; But is it really possible in this day and age of rampant media where dividing people is the order of the day and they intentionally want you to be divided. Is it even possible to brush these differences aside? I mean, I for one cannot carry on my relationship with a rabid Islamophobe, rather someone who divides people rabidly on the basis of any religion for that matter.  I personally cannot tolerate anyone talking casteism. I better stay away from the arrogant 'I'm the superior' caste or the 'they are the Dalit' discourse'.

The complexity of the modern-day relationships!

Well, I don't have answers. I guess it is for each individual to decide where and how do we draw the line between our emotional ideas and the quality of the relationship.  Maybe some relationships are not worth the debate, and maybe some debates are not worth losing a relationship! 

No comments: