Thursday, April 2, 2020

Lessons learnt from you uncle!

I'm an Indian and obviously being a cricketer was one of the big dreams growing up. So, I meet this man, white-haired, but still physically very fit in the workplace. Someone had told me he was Indian Cricket team's physiotherapist for some time. The child in me woke up. "Ivara pidichu yepadiyaavathu Rahul Dravid kitta oru photo yeduthukidanum", I told myself! And for that selfish reason, I became friends with him. Of course, he was the boss's father. You had to be good with him! 

I slowly developed the conversation and brought up cricket. Uncle was nonchalant about it. Oh, that was during Pataudi's period. 'Pataudi ah, appa Rahul Dravid ah theriyaathaa', my mind switched off! But he kept going, And suddenly he said, then I went to Disney for some time. Disney ah? I was still trying to comprehend that statement, but uncle went on. The nonchalant body gyration went on too. I was there when Asha Kiran was being developed. Then I worked here and then there. On and on and on! Uncle, saapdelaama, pasikithu; My mind was still trying to comprehend his life. As you would have noticed by now, for my mind to work, I have to eat. Oh, I forgot, in between, he spoke about writing some books. See, I remember a few things at the name of food! 

Sam, do you like beef; We went early in the morning and brought this beef specially cut in this size and this shape. "Oh, ivarukku samayalum theriumaa, appada, thalai suthuthu" I told myself. 

One of those days I and the best friend were talking! Or should it be called gossip? Benji, avarukku yelaame theriyuthu, ana apadiye amaithiyaave irukaare benji, I told him. He nodded! 

Those were my dreams. Being with a cricketer, being in Disney, working in remote mission fields and of course being an author! He has done everything I wanted to ever do in life. Every damn thing! Yet, when he looks back at his life, there is no sense of achievement! Just a plain acceptance of grace. Those nonchalant body gyrations I spoke about, they were reflections of that acceptance I presume. 

Then we became good friends. You can call us Beef friends, for every time I come to Vellore, Uncle makes sure he makes beef. And they are some of the best beef I have ever tasted. He helped my mind work faster I presume. The faster it works the more lesson I learn you see. 

When I look at his life and reflect on it now, there is one thing which is remarkably striking. For a man to have left high profile jobs in his prime of life, to do what he wanted to do, he must have listened carefully to the inner calling. Cricket and Disney might not have been his dream, but leaving them would never have been easy. At a time when the 'what next' question is knocking loud at my door, reflecting on his life, so beautifully lived, is a lesson in itself.

70 years of life lessons uncle. So much more I can write! but leave them for our future conversations. Here is to many more years of life and being a source of inspiration to many like us. God bless!






No comments: