Friday, March 22, 2019

Life is good!

Argggghhhh! I shouted. It was pitch dark. My friend had just left me by. He heard me shout and came running. "Are you okay!" He helped me on my feet. I'm fine, I'm fine! I said, getting back on my feet slowly.

I had a bad fall. We were on my way back home from my badminton courts and I twisted the ankle; I think I stepped on some random rocks. I have a long history of ankle injuries. Something to do with my awkward walking style I presume. Once a doc saw me and said I have slightly cleft legs too. Whatever that meant!

So, I was helped home and then I laid down on the sofa while my wife helped me remove the shoes and then helped me with some ointments. She called a friend and got some pain killers. I joked around to take my mind off, and slowly things settled down. I still could not walk without pain but I was managing. For a finicky patient like me, I think it was not a bad enough injury to fuss. Wifey asked me to bunk work the next day and I happily concurred.

While things settled down and I went back to my reading, it struck me, life indeed had been incredibly kind! It was just a minor injury and there were at least three people worried for me. And there is the huge loving family who was not even informed of the incident. The brilliant friends. The nice warm house. Life of dreams living near London. Meeting some of the biggest stars of my sector day in and day out.

Last week I heard first hand from a country I shall leave unnamed on the atrocities on the daily life of the common man. The week before I listened to another friend from a different continent almost cry about how his country is going through the doldrums and millions are rendered homeless every month. Another colleague once remarked that by the end of this year he does not even know whether he will have a home to go back to.  I have been to some of the remotest parts of my own country and have seen people living without having more than one meal a day. I once went through a refugee camp and the less said the better about them.

As I take my philosopher cap off, just reminding myself again. That I'm one of those who are blessed enough to start counting my blessings and stop complaining.

P.S: The boss did not concur to take one more day off and so I went to work grudgingly.

1 comment:

Alagappan said...

Very nice write up Sam.. Kudos to your philosophical thoughts ..U r a good story teller ..keep writing.