Saturday, January 6, 2018

Thank you for the music!

For all the musical genes in the family, music just did not happen for me. Though I was part of a choir for a long time, I don't hit most of the correct notes! I mean, simply put I could not sing. And not to mention the many attempts at learning musical instruments which never materialised the way it should have, partly due to my own laziness though.

Yet, through it all music did have a role to play in my life. And like any other young Indian growing up in the early twenty first century ARR was one of the musicians I grew up listening to.

Remembering the many times I had sat alone in my room only with ARR and his sound for company and wondered how and why he used a certain instrument and a certain rhythm pattern for certain songs. Those majestic double bass runs in the song "Veerapandiya kotaiyile", the haunting melody of the 'Jeans' theme music humming 'nisarisa', the violin interludes in the villagish folk number of "Poraale ponnu thaayi", the melancholy of "Yenga pona raasa", the guitar rhythm of "New york nagaram" and the many other Rahman specials.

Oh yes, the music did speak. Everytime I heard the "Unthan desthin kural", I could feel the urge to go back home. The zillion times I have heard Rahman's version of Vande Maataram, I have felt passionate about my country. And whenever the "Kaalailyil thinamum kan muzhithaal naan kai thozhum thevathai amma" sang, I felt my mother calling me.  Did you feel a peace surrounding you when "Vellai pookal" was sung? I did! Everytime.

Of course there are many other musicians and music I had enjoyed. from the inimitable Illayaraja, to the Simple and profound music of Jim Reeves, From Amy Grants serenity to the loud sounds of Michael Jackson and Backstreet boys; the Christian Gaithers, the rock show guys "Queen", "Eminem", and a few local musicians like Theodore and the four part harmonies of the choirs I have been part off. Yet ARRs is the one music I have enjoyed the most and the one I go to when alone.

Thank you ARR sir for the music. For I enjoyed your company in the many times of loneliness. Here is to many more years of tamil music I so enjoy. Happy happy birthday

No comments: