Thursday, January 25, 2018

Lessons from the Marathon man! It's me (vadivelu voice)

I ran a marathon! I ran a marathon! I mean, it was only 7.5 Kms. Yet this is the longest ever I have run in my life. And yipeee, I'm happy.

Not many who know me after my school days, know me as a fanatic sportsman. I played cricket, Basketball and shuttle badminton at various points of my life at a fairly decent level. And I played during every bit of free time available. I have been to state selections, represented my district and have been in many district level winning teams. In fact looking back my school life had only been sport. I was a sport fanatic, still am! Just that I don't play anymore.

I did not like one bit of the four years in college, just because the college never had good sports teams. Of course there were other reasons for not liking college life, but this is one major reason. I still hate myself for choosing that college; anyways that is for another day.

After college, life catches up with you! Nobody played any sport in Cognizant. Nobody even had time to breathe, leave alone play. Makunda was worse. Civil service days were heady. And then the paunch began to show. Not that I was thin before. I don't think I have ever been the thin one ever. Still, when you touch 30 and the paunch start to show, you know you have not done justice and you could have been fitter.

So 2018, I decided is going to be the year. Many years and many resolutions have come and gone, but this year have started well. I started jogging few days a week. Started to swim again after eons. And then the marathon happened. The reluctant man in me was pushed out to run by the team I work with now. (Shhhh! I actually outran them😜!)

And it was an experience! The younger me, would have quit half way through. Five years ago, I would have preferred to walk and talk with people along the way rather than run alone. I don't quit anymore. The body was cramping badly, yet I told myself, come what may I will crawl to the finish; and finish I did much faster than I even thought.

And so the mind is full of enthusiasm now! What about doing it daily, early morning? Says the mind. I don't know how much more the bruised body will let the mind win! Yet, these days my mind wins the body more often!

May be you need to become old to know that mind winning over the body is all there is to life! How I wish I had known it better then!


1 comment:

Accurate Commodity Tips said...

waoo well written post about Lessons from the Marathon man! It's me (vadivelu voice).

Thanks,

Commodity Trading Tips