Sunday, June 19, 2016

My father! My hero!

Sam, should I take him to the hospital? Or shall we leave him here to be at his home during his final stages? His confused look said it all.

Here is a great man, 'V', one of the best doctors the country has seen, asking me, what he should be doing about a patient?

The patient lying near him was his Dad. That says it all. As the father lying there taking deep breaths, surely in his last few hours, the son, the great man, held his hand and with his other hand ran his fingers over his head. Time stood still. Nobody moved. Nobody spoke.

That moment took me down memory lane. My father was the only thing I ever wanted for a very long time in my life. He was my ultimate hero. The earliest memory of my hero was him sitting with a book in a chair in our balcony, legs crossed. I walk upto him, he keeps his book aside and take me onto his lap. And that was it. That was all I wanted. To be in his lap. To be touching his paunch:)

And then I grew up. The hero worship though never really went away. The times we have walked around the town with hands on shoulders like best friends do are some of my best memories for life.

Times have changed. The mother, who had been his fulcrum is no longer there. He is gradually getting old. The logician in him has almost vanished. The emotional man very often appears. The childishness in him is long lost; gone! The love is more often shown outwardly. Life!

Yet, he is the man who I always wanted to be. My hero forever!

As the great man wiped the occasional tear I saw a pride in his eyes. The same pride I have when I see my father.

Happy father's day people!

1 comment:

isaacsvk said...

Fine write up Sam.God bless you.