Wednesday, October 8, 2014

The day that changed my life forever!

So it is been a year since that day happened.

I had just failed the civil service exam. Had just got two decent jobs and was still deciding on taking one of them. Almost was deciding on joining a PG, may be an MBA. The previous week had two of the best days of my life with a best friend in Pune.The previous night I went out with a close friend for a dinner. So life was full! Full and happening. Then that day happened.

It was in the evening when my brother called. His voice choked when he said that mom was diagnosed with cancer with secondaries all over. I called my mom immediately. She could not continue either. The world broke down before me.

We knew she was having a back ache for a month. But then cancer? Never in our wildest imaginations have that thought stuck us. That morning mom joked that they are going to have a honeymoon dinner without the fan fare which usually surrounds her when she goes to a hotel in our town. They both went to a neighboring city to get her back checked, only to be diagnosed with that disease.

And so I ran to my roomie to help me book tickets back home. The ticket was booked immediately. Within a few minutes a taxi was arranged and I was on my way home. Almost missed the flight in the traffic jam. I was calling everybody around frantically. Did not know what else to do. Then as the flight took off, it all sunk in slowly. Tears rolled over. I was crying after a long time. Thoughts were all over the place. I knew life is taking us through a phase without any light. The future looked dark.

Life after that day was never the same again.Watching your mom undergo unbearable pain is not easy. After she lost her hair and her voice, she was hardly her own self. Everyday when you have to tell "Ma, open your mouth ma plz, eat something", it felt bad. And during the last few days when she could not recognize us, it was killing. And yes, when she passed away there was an emptiness which could never be explained.

Yet, there were so many good through it all. The family held us together. The friends were just there every single time of need. And it brought us all close together. It made us stronger. It made us bigger.

And yes, Jessie happened! And can life be ever the same after that?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hai,
Sammy
Just read your blog
May Jessie Fill Your mother's Place in Your Life..

Our Prayers are for yOur Blessed Future.

Maximas H. Rose