Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Is education the cure?

Two days ago I left my 'American Tourister' bag outside the huge library in Chennai and went inside for my daily ritual. When I came back my bag was missing. It was such a good bag that one of my best friend always fought for it. Somebody found it to be too interesting and decided to steal it.

Bag getting stolen? In a library? where the best brains in and around Chennai are supposed to be slogging it out in pursuit of a brighter future? My brother said, may be the security personnel or some library staff could have taken it. He is right, I told myself. The educated youth can't be stealing bags.

Is it so? The educated youth don't steal? My mind struggled with that logic. In fact the biggest thieves this country have seen have been the more educated. The doctors, the lawyers, the engineers, the business managers and of course the highly educated bureaucracy and the saintly politicians. The great American D.L Moody said this and is n't he bang on?

                         " Take a child stealing bolts and nuts in a railway track and give him education,
                            he will steal the whole railway track!"

Then from where have we got the idea that education is going to cleanse humanity? Why do we instantly think that the poor and the uneducated steal more? Why do we feel that the rapes and murders this society is becoming accustomed to happen because of the illiterate migrants?

May be we are to put our thinking caps on again! and think a way out of the mess we are in. 'Education', in its current form is not the cure.

I could hear the former BBC journalist Malcolm Muggeridge murmur,

                                                "We have educated ourselves to imbecility!"

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Did it happen in Anna Centenary Library?? Are u coming there regularly??