Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Forgiveness the way forward?

For once I had to pity Rahul Gandhi. For all his theatrics and stupidity, he came across today as some one who was genuinely sad. He had seen his dad blasted off at a pretty young age. And today when somebody unrelated to him decides to forgive his dad's murderers to get the votes which spills out of this, I can understand his sadness.

A Prime minister and some policemen with him were killed. The killers were given capital punishment and after the supreme court's intervention the punishment was reduced to life imprisonment and suddenly they were freed.They were forgiven. Forgiven of the murder charges. Forgiven of the death penalty. Forgiven of the reduced life imprisonment.

As one part of the world celebrated the decision, another part felt sad. Betrayed! Why forgive? they ask. They have actually murdered the prime minister of the country. Then why not forgive Kasab? and Afzal guru? Why selective forgiveness? And why forgiveness in the first place?

Alright, they were forgiven as they have spent enough time of their lives in prison. Then, how long is too long? I mean, why not forgive after 5 years and not 25 years? How many murders will be forgiven? I mean, if I kill one person and I am forgiven, what if I kill 7?

Ha! the question marks are becoming too many and too complicated for comfort.

Because it became complicated I shut my mind off and decided to listen to the heart. And the heart says forgive. Forgive 7 murders. Forgive 77 murders.Forgive after 5 years. Forgive after 15 years. If the judicial system intends to be reformative instead of being retributive, it has to forgive.

I'm not in anyway against punishment. But just saying, forgiveness has to come at some point after punishment.

I'm sorry Rahul. I can feel your pain. I know it is easier for me to say 'forgive'. But forgiveness alone promotes the humanising belief that even the offenders can be saved and not just be punished.


No comments: