Wednesday, May 27, 2020

The man I bow down to!

"I know the value of life, I lost my brother due to the lack of ambulance and timely action," said Manikandan.

My sister saw the video of him going about his business of saving lives in his small Ambulance. She and her husband decided to give some money to him for his selfless sacrifice. The man picked up the call, acknowledged their praise and refused money! REFUSED MONEY! "Sir, I am doing this for free; I'm fine and comfortable with what I do, thank you very much".

As my sister pinged me this story, I could visualise her in tears. Here is a man who is serving the society for free, and not taking any money for his service. No, he is not like my sister to be giving a part of her earnings to charity. Never is he the common man like me, to sit and talk away, the society's issues on Twitter and Facebook. This man is real. He genuinely goes out of the way to help. From whatever little he has, he gives; And he gives his all.

There are a few who start strong and wither away. Perhaps this man is like that. He would have started this sojourn during COVID times, I told myself; "I have done this for 49 months and have saved 650 lives. I have not gone home during corona times. I sleep in my ambulance and police provide me with food". Manikandan answers sceptics like me.

"Why do you do this when your life itself is in poverty," many people ask me says Manikandan. I want to do this for my brother. To the best of my ability. Till I can.

I bow down to that man, not because he refused the money, but because, for him, the cause is more important than the money.

Will I ever find that purpose in my life, for which I can give my life, without expecting anything in return?


For those who can understand my language - https://www.facebook.com/584025382087845/posts/831515464005501/

No comments: