Wednesday, March 31, 2021

The blue jean and black 'T' shirt!

When you are born in a small town to a Gandhian father, apparels were the last thing in your mind! All we (my brother and I) knew were a bat and a ball and we cared very little about anything else in life. Not even when the first signs of testosterone came into the picture! One fine day my sister got married to this guy from the US and I saw him wear something which I had not seen before. Maybe I had seen it, but not cared much. That memory of him wearing it so casually on the day of his engagement said something about him. 'Cool' is the word. He looked 'cool'. That image registered in my mind! Then after a few years, one man was revolutionising the world with a new product called the iPhone. I knew who Steve Jobs was then but saw him on the television sets for the first time. He wore the same cool thing my sister's husband wore that day. One of my friends had gone to Chennai to do his masters and one day he was coming back and I went to catch up with him and there was 'J', wearing the same cool thing.

Years later, when I sit and type furiously on my computer, blue jean and black T-shirts are just another dress. They are still my favourite though, but they were once a young boy's dream. I may have bigger dreams now, but the dream of looking cool in blue jean and a black T-shirt of the young boy from the small town was part of his folklore. The folklore of life!


No comments: