Saturday, June 8, 2019

Love shall prevail!

"Why do I hate the Pakistani cricket team?", I asked myself. As a self-proclaimed cricket aficionado, logic says I should love the Pakistani cricketers since Pakistan always had the biggest cricketing talent. Always! Who would not have gone 'wow' when Wasim Akram bowled those toe crushers or when Saeed Anwar hit those gorgeous cover drives? Yet, growing up every time when Pakistani cricket did miracles, an in-built hatred brewed up. A sort of jealousy I presume!

Why were we made to look at Pakistan as an enemy growing up? What made us believe that all Pakistanis think about is to dislodge peace in my country? Who told me that all Pakistanis are bad people? How was I made to understand that Pakistan broke into a separate country coz they hated me?

Ah, history had been cruel to us!

Till the moment we (Me and my friend) invited some Pakistanis home for dinner I never realized what a beautiful group of people they were! And when they invited us for the eid celebration, I realized we have all along been tricked into believing some wrong notion about a country, and because of that a group of people!

Oh, what a time I had on Eid! It has been a long time since somebody had invited me to all the three meals of the day. Am I that cruel? Well, they did! We played pranks, laughed out loud, pulled each other's legs, had a lot of fun. Yet, it was not just frivolous fun. There was love! Palpable love. You could sense it in the air.

Just a group of Pakistanis and Indians. Wishing the best for each other. We did discuss the sport. We argued about politics, the dirty game. We, of course, had different opinions. But, through it all, the love never went away.

As I bade farewell that night, 'K' hugged me saying 'Thanks Sam bhai'; And in that moment of brotherhood, we broke the chains of hatred which had bound us.

Politics and politicians may divide us. History may divide us. Geography may divide us. Vote bank politics and unruly mobs may divide us. Religion may divide us. Yet, that day proved to me that the only emotion that will prevail is love.

Here is to many more years of loving friendship and brotherhood(Sisterhood) to the wonderful people from Pakistan who helped me open my eyes to love beyond an inbuilt hatred. For love shall prevail!













5 comments:

Karen Christopher said...

So beautifully written Sam Anna...

Junaid Ahmed Noor said...

Beautifully written sam, it was such a good day:)

Eugene said...

Superb bro :)

Unknown said...

Nicely written Sam...

Unknown said...

Super. We need more such stories