Friday, February 23, 2018

Achievements of life!

I walked out of the airport and there was somebody carrying a board which read "Samuel Gnanadurai". I called him and off we went to the guest house which was booked for me!

Sounds very fancy, isn' it? Well if you are one of those who was fascinated by these like I was as a kid growing up, it does sound fancy. 

I thought those are the happy people. People, who has achieved so much in life that there is a car to pick them up. It has not stuck me this hard until yesterday when it happened for me twice in two days. I mean, I'm on a big travelling spree and out of the four boring flights, two had people waiting to pick me up. It stuck me hard that it does not mean that you are an over achiever and it means that somebody is gracious enough to pick you up. 

This actually got me thinking! What actually is an achievement then? If you are achieving something which had been a childhood dream, is it not achievement enough? Then most of the petty day to day things will have to be called achievements. 

In one of those travels I stayed with the most brilliant boyfriend I have! He went on to do study engineering in a famous IIT and then went on to design aircrafts. How cool is that? When we started talking and when the talk veered off to our lives, I could read from his mind that he is fighting off the same question. Is that all there is to life? That you settle down in your own two bedroom apartment among the glittery high rises of Bengaluru? Wasn't that an achievement as well, I asked! Yes it is; To buy a flat was a dream! Any day; But is that all? The question never really went away.

How do we define achievements of life? Does the very definition of achievements of one's life keep changing?Is it that important that we keep achieving something? Do we achieve anything in life? Can they be qualitative? I mean, like I'm happy, and so have I achieved? 

Oh! The question marks of life. How often do we answer such philosophical questions. What do you think folks? 


1 comment:

Denzil Roy said...

I think, Ecclesiastes, in the Bible, has answered those questions- seek God, obey his commandments, enjoy the everyday mundane, and everyday extraordinary. God's ways are inscrutable and we may never make sense of the big picture of the million different things happening around us, the seemingly illogical realities.