Friday, November 11, 2016

Abuse and the post modern world!

So I get abused on twitter day in and day out. For being frank about what I think is right. I have been called by names which cannot be said here. Oh ya, my mom has been called names too. One guy even told me that I killed my mom by not giving her cow's urine which could have cured her.

No I don't abuse back. I'm taught to be nice and gentle. To use the words 'Sorry' and 'Thanks'. To give respect by calling others sir and Madame;

No I don't block people. For I'm taught to respect the other irrespective of their clan, colour and class. Irrespective of their view points. Irrespective of the abuse. And to be democratic.

I always thought abuse is prevalent only in twitter and FB, the social media. And it did not bother me much, though I understand the family will be a little worried after reading this. They don't get to see me on twitter:)

Suddenly, after yesterday's election results, it hit me hard. Abuse is being institutionalised! Suddenly the leaders are abusing. Not that they were not abusing before, but something in me snapped only yesterday.

The four letter word is used completely in and out of context from the podiums. The media is called by names. Throwing abusive hatred is becoming the fashion. The talk show hosts and the comedy artists use abusive words for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Is it going to be the new normal? Are we going to be teaching our children that it is okay to abuse somebody? Okay to call a girl a slut? To shout and yell at differing view points? Is shouting others down ALA Arnab going to be the way forward? Is this the new survival of the fittest?

I wish I'm wrong!

No comments: