Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Thank you shewag! Thank you Fab Five!

I never liked him bat. He gave me too many nervous moments. And I am from the Rahul Dravid school of batting. The feet never moved to the pitch of the ball. The ball missed the outside edge too many times.

There were many days when I had scolded him badly for just throwing away his wicket. The air of nonchalance surrounding him was hardly bearable for an intense cricket fan like me,

Yet, to be honest there were very few batsmen of his ilk; No no no! Not very few. I can't name one. And that makes him the genius. He was a genius indeed. How do you describe scoring a boundary of the first ball of five consecutive world cup games? What else can be said about the man who inevitably hits a six to reach the hundred?

And when the genius in Shewag called in quits yesterday, my mind wavered off to 2000's. The decade of the "Fab Five". What a time it was to watch and talk cricket? Shewag's brilliance, Dravid's purity, Sachin's genius, laxman's beauty and Ganguly's off side strokes and every one of them gave times of happiness.

Thank you Shewag for all those days of sheer joy you gave us! And thank you "Fab Five"! We grew up watching you bat. In the annals of Indian cricket, Shewag and Fab five will forever be etched. 

No comments: