Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Of oldies and their stories!

Your grandma was of such a great help to me in the medical college said that old granny! Your uncle used to be lying down here all the time said another. Story after story after story; I loved listening to them all.

Did I miss my grandparents? Very much so! It would have been great listening to the granddad whom everybody talks about everywhere, on whom a book had been written. It would have been such fun to see him tackle his wife, the fiercely independent granny, whom the town I grew up almost worshiped. Though I had the privilege of being with my mom's parents for some time, it would have been far better to listen to their stories now, when I can understand and fathom their legacy much better.

So, what do I miss? The love and the warmth that only grand parents could give. Of course yes! But more so the stories. To listen to the folklore of yesteryear; the interesting stories about the people they met, the pre independence stories of courage and valour, the stories of poverty and struggle, on horse drawn carriages and trams and the other long forgotten things. And of course on friendships and relationships.

There is some thing about those days. Something very sensuous. Very touchy. Something which can bring those happy tears and sometimes make you wish you had lived then.

May be life during those days were more romantic. Ah! How I wish my oldies are here now and tell me how romantic were they then.

No comments: