Sunday, March 3, 2013

Take a bow sir! You are godly

Kya bhaiya, 30 rs TK tho. 40 rs jaadha hain ( what brother, 30 rs is fine, 40 is a bit too much) argued my friend to the rickshaw wallah. I had just had a bad fall and was hurting in my ankle and so did not have any strength to stand. I immediately boarded that rickshaw without waiting for them to finish their negotiations. Further, we also had two full cylinders with us. My friend climbed on too; may be he realised he did not have any option though the rickshaw wallah did not agree for the bargain.

The journey was a difficult one for him, especially with two heavy weights on it and moreover an additional ten kilos of gas cylinder added to it. Every time he had to slow down, again to start it back it needed enormous effort from him. My friend asked about the pain in my ankle; though i did not want to show, I was a bit finicky.

As soon as we got down, I noticed the rickshaw man's foot was heavily bandaged. I asked him what it was. He said, he had a crash with a bike some time ago and had a bone fracture. I was stunned! He was driving with a fractured limb! And here I am complaining about a twisted ankle; why can't you take rest, I asked? Kaana peena katham hogaiya, kya karo ( no water and food, what to do) came the reply.

I had no answer! Took a 50 rs note from my wallet and asked him to keep it. He said, nahin sir! And gave back ten rupees.

I saw his face under the light. It was nearly 9.30 pm. Fully dark. He was sweating profusely. Yet, his face was bright. He had taught me one of life's toughest lessons in a second.

Honesty, is a rarity; that, in times of adversity is godly;

I may not meet you sir again! But you deserve a bow! Mankind will survive.

1 comment:

G.S. Muthu said...

I could not stop commenting on it !! Well written !!