Friday, September 17, 2010

THE WAY TO THE TOP MANAGEMENT INSTITUTES IN INDIA :

I was early from bed that day, though it was a saturday. I am going to write the famous CAT exams. Nearly 3,00,000 people are scheduled to write those exams in the next one week, which for the first time is going online. I am not the one to get excited or tensed for exams. I was my usual self that day, though I know that day can very well decide my future. One of my dreams was always to study management education in a reputed institute and this might very well be the day that fulfills my dreams.

I took my car out and drove to the college I was posted in. Being a Saturday the college had a blank look, nothing was there to suggest any examination of this magnitude happening. After asking the security I reached the place. As usual the queue was very long……..This is INDIA man!!!! Though only very few people were there compared to the last year the processing was unbelievably slow. Everybody was checked rigorously and everything from pens to wallets to wrist watches were taken off. We are known for our HONESTY!!!! Aren’t we???? We were made to sit in our places and it was around 9:30 when everybody settled down.

Time went by, It was almost like eternity when one guy came to us and said something, which was not even remotely audible. Before us reacting to him, he went away…….Another eternity started. The same man came again and said,” I am very sorry, due to some technical glitches we are not able to conduct the Tests today. You will be intimated soon, about your rescheduled date…….I was angry!!!! But being a software engineer myself, I know some things cannot be prevented and I went home in a flash. That evening we had a small prayer meeting in our home and so when the Exam officials called me I could not pick up the call. Once the meeting got over, I called them back and the security picked up the call and said “Sir, I am the security here, I can’t do anything now, The office is closed. A message will be received by you and follow what is given there”..... Office is closed ah??? Weren’t the call centre’s supposed to work 24x7????????.(Are they not serious of the problem today!!!! Is this something related to our integrity at work????) I thanked him, and thanked the heavens, for he could speak English………Of course!!! I got a message saying, tomorrow is your exam and the centre has been changed. I inquired about the exam centre to my friends and got the route clarified.

It was another early morning rise for me……I have a long way to go. Got ready fast and started my journey to the outskirts of Chennai. Most places the roads were under construction and it was a bumpy ride (Our Indian roads!!! No need to repeat that word again- Corruption!!!). After reaching the place called Avadi, where I was supposed to ask for directions, I parked the car near a police kiosk and tried to ask the police there…… He was not found in his place and so I asked a person standing there and he showed me the way…….He asked me to take the turn there and go straight. I got back in to the car and turned right happily. The moment I turned right, the policeman came out of nowhere and blocked the car…….You cannot go this way!!!! Can’t you read the board??? He shouted. I was asked to go back and park the vehicle……..Sir, I said!!!! As if there was nothing wrong in going in a ONE WAY ( I am an INDIAN after all), The guy showed me the way, I searched for you and you were not found. The police man did not agree with all my explanations and asked me to pay the fine. You will have to pay 350 rs, if I put a fine, he yelled. I know what he is up to. Need not study rocket science to know that. I said, “ Sir, I have only hundred rupees” and the next moment he said , fine give me the hundred and keep moving…….I gave the only hundred I had and started my journey……Knowing that giving bribe is wrong and still happy that I saved my 250 rs……

After reaching the college, to my horror saw the college having nothing in it to call itself a deemed university…..Having a single building, that to under construction does not give a great sight for an engineering college, leave alone a deemed university Does corruption have a role there???)….. But, I know this is how it is in my country. After standing in the queue for some time I was told that candidates who were rescheduled have separate queues. So after changing lines I was shown my room……..Another queue….., there I stood till 9:45, (Remember I am supposed to start the exam at 10). Then I entered the room only to find that my voucher number was not there in their systems and they will have to register it now. So they asked me to wait, till the others start the exams. Then a photo of mine was taken and my voucher number was registered and by the time I was seated the time was 10:02 (What is there in 2 minutes???). After that I switched on the system, only to find out that the system is faulty and again they asked me to wait till they got it right……..It was 10:40 when a guy came to me and said, “ Don’t waste time “. I was shocked. I turned at him and said “ What do you want me to do “. Then, he translated that in his vernacular saying the lost time will be given to you……I was happy that atleast I could understand his vernacular……After that there were no interruptions…..I finished the exam and returned back happily as Indians have lived all along through all the technical and systemic failures………

When I look back, I have been fortunate to at least write the exams. Many could not write because their system hanged after starting the exam…..After all I come under the category who has the chance to at least apply for the top B-Schools in the country. There are still youngsters there on the streets who just cannot afford to study, loitering around for the daily meal. I know I cannot complain, I should rather be counting my blessings…………but the bottom line is INDIA as a country has not gone much from the day we have got the Independence…….and to grow we need to get our integrity right first.

No comments: