Monday, July 28, 2014

A life so beautifully lived!

They all thronged the church like never before. The rich, the poor, people from every community, and caste, to have one final look at her. One final look at the person whom they loved so much! Some shops were closed. Some were half mast. They were all paying homage, to the soul which made their lives better in this painful world.

I was among those given the privilege of seats, to be seated next to her when she went on her final voyage, even as people cried and shouted and threw flowers. In fact, I was given the privilege of calling her "amma" first. Though, she was "Amma" to everybody by the time she called it quits. And so I say, she is one incredible woman. And that final journey proved that.

The day after the final journey as the extended family and friends sat together reminiscing on her life, everybody had nice things to say about her. She was the darling of the family, the friend whom many wanted to be a part of, the extraordinary mother, the incredible nurse of the aged, the amazing cook, a dream aunt, an excellent co-sister, a brilliant wife, a superb doctor and so the words flowed.

I always knew her as an intensely private person, close to her family! But yesterday, showed me her family was big. Indeed huge! Everybody in that small town and the neighboring villages knew her. Everybody owned her. Everybody wanted her.

So, she was not old enough to die! She easily had another good 10-15 years; Yet, that was not to be. She had lived her last. And lived it well. In fact lived her best!

She did not earn billions of dollars, in fact did not want to. All she wanted was a simple, happy, beautiful life; and that she had; In plenty. She showered love, and in turn got showered by love. She showed grace, and the people reciprocated. She radiated happiness and God was gracious enough to keep her happy.

RIP ma! You showed love and grace still exist in the purest form; and reaped happiness.

Your's indeed was a beautiful life!

10 comments:

Unknown said...

what a beautiful tribute to a beautiful life!

Suthanthira Kannan R said...

I don't understand why GOD wants to shorten the lives of people who are of utmost help to the society. Convey my condolences to Dr Gio.Very few people in this world have led a life as ur mother had did. This is just not an exaggeration.

B.N.Suresh Mangaladurai said...

A great tribute to an Amazing personality. Always with a smile and never a harsh word. That was what I used to think of her during my limited interaction with her. Knowing her was a privilege I had since she was the first cousin of my wife and indeed a great cousin she was. She was the one who brought forth my second daughter into this world in her hospital and did not accept even a dime for it. One of the few women whom I considered a true gem. God bless you all and grant her eternal peace...

selva kadaksham said...

Who plucked this flower? Asked the gardener.... tis ME said the MASTER....and the gardener kept quiet...Farewell, sweet angel, the Mother Teresa of Sivakasi.....some questions never get answered this side of heaven.Till then may we continue to follow her example to do our best to help the hurting allaroundnoficum us.selva kadaksham

Susheel Tharien said...

Sam, what a beautiful and moving trubute.Having been there to have a last look at your loving mother, and having seen the great outpouring of a mixture of love, adoration, respect and profound grief, I can only say with deep respect, what a great person she was!
Susheel

suzanna and mathew said...

Thank you sam for sharing this. An amazing testimony. Am grateful for your parents' friendship

David Raj said...

My son, How could you write like this when you are at the utmost sorrow. Sam, you'll be loved like every body loved your mother. God will bless you, keep you and guide in all your endeavors.

Unknown said...

One of the incredible wonderful woman I yet met. She cares for my two important moment in my life. . Dear doctor how could I describe those things in words.. Simply her smile pervades in my veins at those moments especially nine months ago... Simply I bend my head down... Her greatness will remain forever.. RIP

viji paul said...

My cousin told me. ‘Sivakasi Cried’.

On behalf of my family and I, I take this moment to express our deepest sympathy to your family.

Hey Sam, This is a wonderful piece of tribute. Even I had the privilege of meeting Akka in my last visit to Sivakasi, very brief, still I remember that famous genuine smile with 'twinkle' in her eyes…

All I can say, Cherish all your past memories and they shall help you all move forward in life. And some one said this, ‘When you lose someone you love, you gain an angel you know’.

Anonymous said...

A life well lived and an example for all of us to follow. Thanks for sharing this well written tribute. May God be with all of you. - Vijay and Ann