Saturday, August 5, 2017

Friends, do they come and go?

I have often wrestled with this idea. The idea, that friends are special beings sent from God for a particular period in our life. And then we move on. Move on to another part of our life! And so another group of friends.

Did I move on? Have I moved on? We all have, haven't we?

There were these two friends whom I hugged and promised that we will stay in touch all through life when we changed new schools in class 5. Have seen them once after. There are those beautiful friends who made my life better in my senior school days, whom I had thought I cannot live without, yet have no contact with.

Then, the best friend from college. I had long lost touch with him since we parted ways.The cognizant life. The wonderful friends there. What happened to them? We were so close. Yet nobody stay in touch. Not one! The best thing about living in the remote village of makunda was the community of friends. Yet, even they have moved on. We say a hi, here and there and that is all. The friends from church and choir and then from the life in Delhi days. Not everyone has stayed on.

Why does that happen? Weren't we close enough then, to sustain the relationships? Have our new relationships become more important than the precious promises we made when life took us apart? Do we mature and so changeth friends? Is it inevitable that we change friends? That life takes too many turns to hold on to few people through out? Oh the questions my mind asks on friendship day!

I wish life allows us the leverage to carry all of them along, through it all. But then they make memories. Precious memories. And may be that is why we move on.

Yet if you remember, not everyone has lost touch. The first friend ever from childhood, is still the best friend. That church friend from Sunday school days, still says a hi often. The few who have stuck on from the school days, are still very close. Indeed one called today. I visit that one college friend often enough. The friends from the Delhi days, through their busy big shot life schedule, have stayed in touch. The church friends meet very often.

To those friends who had moved on in life, I cherish the memories. And those who had stuck on through the ruff, tuff and tan of life, you are my bedrock!

No comments: