Wednesday, July 22, 2015

My last night with my mom!

When a colleague and a well wisher came to me and said, 'hold on' sam, It hit me hard! It has been a year to this day, that I spent one last night with my mom.

Oh! How many days had we, 'mom and me', after Dad and Dan had slept, enjoyed our silent conversations going deep in to the night. And the early next day morning inevitably she will be defending me against being woken up because I slept late; yet, she always was there in the kitchen and then at work, bang on time!

We discussed everything; everything under planet earth, like best friends do! From how my class mate had a love failure, to how beautiful the girl next door looked, to how Nehemiah built Israel, to how India as a country could be salvaged.

Yes, we did plan my wedding, long long back! when I was still in college. We made a list of all the people who should be gifted sarees. And believe me, that list went on and on!She was particularly afraid of being the 'MIL(Maamiyar)', and yes, on many occasions the topic had been the 'Ideal MIL' which she wanted to be, yet thought it was impossible for her to be one.

Oh yes, we spoke on family issues. On umpiring in cricket. On Church politics. On the petty fights between her staff. On the sick patient which made her nervous.

And invariably, every night, just before we dozed off, she said 'how kind had God been to her', though she had not lived up to His standards.

Well, though we slept in the same room on her last night, she could not recognize me and I did not know it would be the last! Had I known that, may be  I would have whispered to her, "You have set the standards too high ma", for finally God thought enough!.

Lot more stories to tell ma; So much more. We will meet one day on the other side. Till then, I'm gathering stories for you. Life's stories!

5 comments:

kester said...

na one day we all gonna see her on the other side of the river

G. Benedict Maxwell said...

Anna , Let me be a character in one of the stories that you would tell to mom.... :)

isaacsvk said...

Really she set a great standard beyond imagination.Nice to cherish sweet memories of your mom.

isaacsvk said...

She really set a great Standard beyond imagination. Nice to cherish her sweet memories.

JARS said...

Thanking God for her life Sam.
I do badly miss being there with you all in Sivakasi during this time of special remembarance.
I do remember my visit to see her the day before her homecall.
How she recognised me and asked if I was served coffee...even though there was much discomfort and pain
Your mom was very special...

Sarahauntie