Saturday, May 11, 2013

The women I'm growing fond of by the day!!!

Yes! I love her. My love for her in fact has grown by the day. She epitomises what love is! Her voice radiates love when she calls me. And you know what, she calls me chellam every time! Every single time! When that mobile rings and shows her name I know what her first words would be. Not a somber 'hello' but an excited 'chellam'. 

Alright! I ill stop with this. No news to get excited. She is my mom. Wanted to write on her for a loooong time and what better day than on Mother's Day!

But, well, I don't want to write about a mother! But rather want to write on a woman whom I have 'awwwed' at. 

For starters, she is a doctor and an excellent one at that. If numbers are right, she would ve conducted more deliveries than 90% of the doctors of the state of Tamil Nadu. So I ve statistical backing for my claim. There have been days, when she would have worked from morning 9 to night 9, then would have done some emergency surgeries late night, come home early morning cook for both her mad eating children their breakfast and pack lunch for school and then will go back to work again. And believe me, she could do this for days and months without complaining. Inspite of such a hectic work schedule, I ve heard patients telling me that they come just to see her, as her smile can cure them. 

On top of being such a workaholic, she always had time for people! Always! You can often see her sit and talk to an old man from the church just because the old man wanted to talk. The number of old people who lived in our house during various periods is insane! We had my mom's parents, my mom's sister in law's parents, my dad's sister in law's parents, my mom's uncle and aunt, my dad's aunt, my day's friends mother and the list is too long to even recollect! And every single one of those oldies loved their stay at our house.

And together with this she had to bear with an eccentric husband who even refused to buy a medical seat to her son because he thought it is wrong, a mad son who thought working in a jungle in Assam is more fulfilling than an highly paid IT job in the heartland of chennai. Still, she stood with us in all our  idiosyncrasies and allowed us to do it our way.

Yes, she still cries for her patients, still is terribly nervous when a VIP comes along, still is afraid of talking in English and still cannot cross a road alone! Yet she soldiers on! Two oldies are there at home now and yesterday she tried beef cutlets for them and of course called me to tell that the next time I'm home she will make it for me.

So, I ve to stop some where! 

Few days ago when a friend asked me what kind of life partner I want, my mind just visualised her image! I think, that is the biggest compliment I can ever give her; much bigger than the two 'women of the year award' she had won in her life!

Of course tomorrow morning the phone will ring and show her picture! Now you know what her first word will be! " sam di chellam" it is!

Happy Mother's Day!

1 comment:

SURI BEN NOAH said...

Nice tribute to your Mom.... I can vouch for her nature and high standards of work... My second child was delivered by her safely without a fuss while Chennai Docs would have insisted on a Cesarean

As for your Dad.... There are not many like him... A rare breed of gentlemen...